About CSL Centenary Fellowships
The CSL Centenary Fellowships were established in CSL's centenary year, 2016, to pay tribute to CSL's origins by supporting Australia’s scientific community. Their intent is to foster excellence in Australian medical research by supporting Australian scientists to pursue world-class research.
Two competitively selected, five-year fellowships are awarded each calendar year to early-mid career (4-10 years post doctoral) medical researchers. The total value of each award is $AUD 1.25 million, which is paid in annual instalments of $AUD 250,000 to the fellow’s employing university or medical research institute. The fellowship provides for a full-time salary (generally equivalent to a Senior Research Fellow C1 level) plus research costs and/or a post-doctoral research assistant. The breakdown is determined by the fellow, in conjunction with the employing institution at the commencement of the fellowship.
In any given year, at the call of applications, the Selection Committee may choose to indicate specific research areas of preference for that year’s awards.
The fellowships are targeted at outstanding Australian researchers, seeking to consolidate a research career in Australia and/or undertake research in an Australian academic institution. Applications are judged on the basis of merit and excellence in competition with other applications.
To be eligible for the CSL Centenary Fellowships you must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Apply individually
- Have minimum tertiary qualifications of PhD level from an accredited Australian or international university
- Have a minimum of four years and a maximum of ten years post-doctoral work experience
(in exceptional cases the Selection Committee may choose to consider applications that do not precisely meet this criterion)
- Not have previously received a CSL Centenary Fellowship
- Be intending to work in Australia, at a not for profit Australian research institute or university
- Not concurrently be in receipt of a separate full-time salary/fellowship
The Selection Committee encourages applications from candidates not currently living or working in Australia but looking to repatriate; researchers seeking to transition to their own independently funded research laboratory; and individuals returning to the workforce after a period of parental leave.
Applications open: Annually on the 1st of June.
Applications close: Annually on the 31st of July.
Outcome Notification: Annually on the 30th September
Applications are assessed on:
- Relevant skills and professional record
- Benefits the fellowship will provide to the individual
- Benefits the fellowship will provide to Australian medical research
- Alignment to the fellowship’s stated research priorities (these may change from year to year and are advised prior to the opening of applications)
The CSL Centenary Fellowships are overseen by a five-person Selection Committee, comprising both independent members (including the Chair) and CSL representatives.